Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Frugality win or lose?

I'm listening to baby Brendon sing to Quest for Camelot. One of the kids favorite movies. We're a 1 TV household right now. We have our TV hooked up to the DVD player and a tape player. All of our movies except maybe 2 were donated to use by family and friends. Jason and I have NEVER paid for TV. We pay for internet. This internet is bundled with our home phone which is how I work. I take reservations for a popular local cruise line. Cruises in AZ you say? Yes, we have lakes and paddle boats just like any other state.


Now with that internet Jason and I both have our netbooks. AAO D150(which was a birthday gift to me) and AAO D250(Jason won a $500 Amazon gift card to pay for this after losing his other one). I am a avid TV show follower. No joke, I watch it all, Greys Anatomy, House, United States of Tara, Big Bang Theory, Nurse Jackie, Gossip Girl, Vampire Diaries..etc. How do I keep up with my shows without paying for TV service, out in the boonies where we have no 'air' signal. Easy. Surfthechannel.com and we DO pay for a subscription to megavideo.com.($15/3mos) This subscription is what protects us from anti-piracy laws.

Television/Internet/Social Networking (FREE) due to working for the cruise line.

Right now I am drinking FREE coffee? How does a person go about getting free coffee and tea? Easy. I review products and then bzz or talk about them on social networking sites and blogs like this one. I am drinking Tasters Choice instant Columbian. It's delicious! This is my second free sample. I also have recieved their French Roast (mmm), Regular, French Vanilla, Hazelnut, and Decaf. For instant coffee, it's awesome. It tastes like Denny's coffee. Which is one of my favorites. The flavor brings back good memories of LONG nights repairing street lamps. One of my favorite jobs.

Other free coffees and tea I've received have been http://www.teekanne.com/ and Teavana. I've received tons of free Starbucks coffees as well. This is great since I drink 1 cup of coffee and 1-2 pots of tea a day.

Tea/Coffee Addiction (FREE) due to free samples and coupons. THANK YOU!!

Detergent is something that I'm a BIG stickler on. I have scary sensitive skin, I just developed a allergy to Purex and Gain both of which I have been using for a couple of years. So I am once again on the search for a good laundry detergent. I use TIDE on my daughters cloth diapers. She has never had a reaction and stains are minimal. That said I am going to take the Rock'in Green Chanllenge, and Rock a soak of all of her medium and newborn dipes and see what Charlies and Tide left behind. I'm a little scared to tell the truth.

http://rockingreensoap.com/ Now I rock a top loader, and so do both of my parents(il's) so water usage is NOT an issue. All of our water gets fed out into the garden and so does my in-laws, my parents unfortunately use septic so I have to be careful what I feed to their machine. If I have done my math right, Tide costs me - $.043/load plus 1 stain release packet which is an additional $.033 so we're talking about 7 cents a load with tide. I do 2-3 loads of diapers a week, with 2 extra rinses and it takes 2 cycles in the dryer to dryer. Now according to this site, http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/laundry.html It is $1.14 per hot wash and another $.26 for my 2 cold rinses (first to get the poop off and at the end to get the soap out) The same site says that my 2 dryer cycles costs about $.75. So all together I am paying (or my in-laws are paying sorry) About $2 a load of diapers, so approximately $6 week with detergent and energy costs added in.

Now with the Rockin Green I should be able to cut out that last rinse (-.13) I will have my laundry line set up here at the house once I get my washing machine fixed (ugg) (-.75) the water is water I would have to use to water the garden anyhow(-.30) I will still have to wash on hot though for sanitizing purposes. (+.85) The cost of detergent will be about $.33/load which is a HUGE increase over my Tide costs. I am considering stocking up on a Co-Op so I can get cheaper prices per load. This is using Hard Rock since we have insanely hard water (my shower curtain crunches) Soft/Classic Rock are a bit cheaper. How ever if I line dry(the sun is a natural stain bleacher and sanitizer as well) I should only be spending $1.15/load or $3.45/week on cloth diapers.

Cloth Diaper WIN (3.45/week) vs Target diapers. sz 3 96/ct $13.69- (6.85/week)


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment